For people with sensitive skin, it is essential to choose eyeglass frames made from hypoallergenic materials to avoid irritation, redness, and discomfort. Some of the most suitable frame materials for sensitive skin include:
- Titanium: This metal is lightweight, strong, and hypoallergenic, making it an excellent choice for those with sensitive skin. Titanium frames are at least 40% lighter than other types of eyeglass frames, which adds to their comfort.
- Cellulose Acetate: This plant-based plastic material is strong, flexible, and hypoallergenic. It is an excellent alternative to metal frames for those with sensitive skin and is also lightweight, making it comfortable to wear for extended periods.
- Stainless Steel: Hypoallergenic stainless steel frames are another option for those with sensitive skin. These frames are durable and resistant to corrosion, making them a long-lasting choice.
- Nylon: Nylon frames are lightweight and hypoallergenic, making them suitable for sensitive skin. However, they may have limited adjustability, so it’s essential to ensure a proper fit initially.
- Beryllium: This metal is also hypoallergenic and can be a suitable choice for those with sensitive skin.
- Flexon: Flexon is a type of hypoallergenic metal that is lightweight and flexible, making it comfortable for those with sensitive skin.
- Gold and Sterling Silver: High-quality gold and sterling silver frames can also be hypoallergenic options for those with sensitive skin.
When choosing eyeglass frames for sensitive skin, it is essential to consider not only the frame material but also the nose pads. Hypoallergenic nose pads can help prevent irritation and redness on the bridge of the nose. Make sure to inform the eyewear provider about your skin sensitivity so they can help you find the most suitable frames and nose pads for your needs.